Florida Professional Paddlesports Association

Vessel Types - Who Could This Affect?

Options: Back 

The Motorboat Industry is pushing to have all vessels in the State of Florida registered. Funds are needed for more boat ramps, mooring fields, marinas, and funds to take care of derelict vessels.

What is a Vessel?

The word "vessel" includes every description of watercraft, including non-displacement craft, WIG craft [Intl], and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

Go to Coast Guard Navigation Rules and Regulations to see source of the definition.
See this explanation of WIG craft.

According to the USCG definition, the following vessels would require registration:

  • Catarafts
  • Dingy/motor capable, some less than 10'
  • Expedition Canoes/muli-paddlers
  • Folding kayaks
  • Foldable boats
  • Human Powered Boats
  • Human Powered Vessels, unusual vehicles (website listings)
  • Hydrofoil Kayaks
  • Inflatable Kayaks
  • Inflatable Canoes
  • Inflatable Rafts
  • Paddleboats/electric versions available/less than 10'
  • Party tubes that hold more than one person
  • Pirogues
  • Pool Boats/up to 6'7" in length
  • River rafts that hold multiple people
  • Rowing Shells
  • Rowboats/motor capable, some less than 10'
  • Rubber Boats/electric motor adaptable/
  • Sailboats
  • Sculls/rowing
  • Shells/rowing
  • Surfboard
  • Surfski
  • Towables/some are 11' long
  • Waterbikes/capable of speeds up to 6 miles per hour
  • Watertrike/Amphibious Trike
  • Windsurfers

Who will this impact?
  • Those who own non-motorized vessels
  • Private citizens who own their own vessel(s)
  • County Parks
  • City Parks
  • Church Groups
  • Boy Scouts
  • Girl Scouts
  • Environmental Clubs
  • Nature Clubs
Those who offer rentals of non-motorized vessels
  • Outfitters
  • Liveries
  • Hotels
  • Motels
  • Resorts
  • Guides
  • Marinas
  • City Parks
  • County Parks
  • State Parks

Those who rent non-motorized vessels
  • Boy Scouts
  • Girl Scouts
  • Church Groups
  • Royal Rangers
  • Families
  • Environmental Clubs
  • Nature Clubs
  • City Recreation Depts.
  • County Recreation Depts.
  • Tourists, in-state, out of state, and foreign

Member ads here!
Be a Peace Paddler! Paddle the Peace in Arcadia
Want your ad here? Become an associate member now!